Monday, October 8, 2012

That's It?...The Tale of My First Mammogram

I had my first mammogram when I was approaching my 35th birthday. I'd gone to the doctor's office for an annual exam. I told her that I felt a small bump under one of my breasts. During my clinical exam, she felt it too. She attempted to assure me that it was nothing but maybe a hair bump, mild acne, or the beginnings of a mole. I looked at her with "that look" and responded simply, "Which one is it?" She knew that I wasn't going to accept a guess and that I had to be sure. So the conversation continued with me saying, "Well, I'm almost 35 years old and wouldn't it be a great time to get a baseline mammogram?" She said, "Yes, it would. I'll give you a referral." See, my doctor knows me very well. Upon our first meeting, I didn't let her do much of anything to me. I just wanted my time to chat. She checked my breathing, vitals, and reflexes but mostly we discussed health issues and histories. Most importantly, we got to know each other. I was able to better understand her no-nonsense bedside manners. She was be able to understand that I prefer physicians who are as inquisitive as I am.

Back to the mammogram story - I was so nervous in the days and moments leading up to my scheduled mammogram. So much so that I thought to cancel the appointment, but I still felt the small bump. It was tiny but it wore on me like a boulder! I talked to family and friends about their experiences. Really, I talked to anyone I thought may have had one. Although they tried to ease my mind about it all, they gave me mixed signals about the process. Needless to say, some of them scared the bejesus out of me. All I heard was clamps, mash, squeeze, pull, and yank. Breasts are sensitive and soft tissues - does it take all of that?

Thank goodness for my sisters! They assured me that because I have a large bosom like they, I would not have any major issues. And they were right! The folks at Charlotte Radiology made me feel welcomed and the technologist was humorous and put me at ease. The best part is that I didn't have to strip down. How many times does that happen in a medical office? So, dressed in my little paper shirt, I sat in the locker room waiting to be called. Then, I was marched into the mammography room. The tech joked about my paper fashions and instantly had me laughing. (Oh yeah, I tell all of my medical consultants (dentists, physicians, phlebotomists, nurses, etc.) that they must talk me through any awkward, uncomfortable or scary procedures.) My nerves calmed. The scary words: clamps, mash, squeeze, etc. were replaced with lift, adjust, press, imaging, turn and next pose. And within moments...less than 10 minutes...it was over! Most of that time was spent on me finding my pose. That's it...that's all...it's over? Yes, all of that fear for nothing!

Because I was concerned about the small tiny bump, they agreed to conduct an ultrasound, right after the mammogram. Within three minutes, we found a bump...a bra-line, sweat-induced pimple, nothing more. So, my doctor was right! And I'm glad she was. But I don't regret getting it checked out. As I approach my 40th birthday, it is time for me to do it all over again...for real this time as I make it an annual part of my life.

Best wishes,
Angela

1 comment:

  1. My first mammogram was similar with a little fright, but one thing was different. I had a friend that told me that it was going to hurt. This friend has breast not much larger than a young girl just getting her breasts. Well this friend said that mashed and squeezed because they had to find hers.

    I did not have that problem as my are quite big from nurturing children at birth. Mashing and squeezing, but not hurting.

    At the time of my Mammograms, I am quite thankful for the size of my ta ta's.

    ReplyDelete