Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Healthy Eating In Chester SC...well, kind of!

A spontaneous nature walk led to a delicious and "can be healthy" little find. It's called Stella's on Gadsden Street in downtown Chester, South Carolina. Betcha wanna know how a nature trail led me to downtown...well, it is Chester! The quaint little restaurant is decorated in a colorful shabby chic manner featuring mix-matched doll-house pastel painted tea room furniture. The menu is simple and clean featuring gourmet sandwiches, salads, wraps, and Blue Bell ice cream cones, shakes, and sundaes. Stella's also features a children's menu with grilled cheese and other kid favorites. The atmosphere is quiet and conducive to all sorts from catching up with a friend, having a small meeting, or getting some work done while grabbing a bite to eat. The service is also great. I spoke with the owner, Jack Treveilier, a former biology teacher at Lewisville High School. He is excited that people are finding them, even if it's by accident. He is ready to serve the town with tasty healthy options at affordable prices .

My lunch - A veggie delight on spinach wrap with added turkey. Yes, I added meat to a veggie sandwich. Hey, I needed the protein! The sandwich made into a wrap comes with feta, black olives, red onion, cucumber, and romaine lettuce. Included in the meal were a side (my choice was kettle chips) and a pickle. To make up for the chips and dessert -we'll get to that part later -, I drank water.  See my lunch below...sorry, I was so hungry I took a bite as soon as the waitress sat down the plate. Luckily, she moved her hand first!  

My lunch and walking partner, Samantha, had the MacDaddy on a tomato-basil wrap. It features roast beef, ham, swiss cheese, pickles and honey mustard. She also had german potato salad (potatoes, onions, bacon chips, and vinegar) and sweetened tea...or as we say in the South - SWEETEA!

Because Sam couldn't resist, we also sampled the homemade (Can it be homemade if it's made in a restaurant?) pimento cheese - just a half-teaspoon - and it was fabulous! Does our excitement count for calories lost? Well, I guess we shouldn't count the calories since we polished off the great midday walk and late afternoon lunch with a good old-fashioned vanilla and chocolate milkshake, respectively. The milkshakes were thick but not suck-so-hard-your-brain-locks-up thick, creamy, and delicious. And yes, I'm lactose-intolerant, but every once and awhile you have to just go for it! Oh, I went for it and paid for it too! See what I do you for guys?!  

As you can tell, as long as it's there, clean, and affordable, I will visit again and again. Actually, I'm trying to figure out an RMDSF event that we can have there or at least feature their cuisine to encourage healthy living in the area.
 
However, there were some minuses worth mentioning. I think the pastel décor is too child-like and does not readily invite adults, especially macho men. I would love to see more comfy couches and chairs that makes it relaxing but still quite conducive to meeting, working, or simply catching up with a friend. Moreover, I would love for the menu to offer additional healthy options like alternative or lactose-free ice cream novelties, smoothies and juices, hot teas  and lattes, and free Wi-Fi! If so, I just may stay there all day. Nevertheless, try them out for yourself! I know I will try them again and again!





Stella's
116 Gadsden Street
Chester SC 29706
(803) 581-1040
M-Th :11am-9pm
F-Sa: 11am-10:30pm
Sunday: 12noon-6pm


No comments:

Post a Comment